Open-ended, critical thinking math prompts that meet all of the 2nd grade Operations and Algebraic Thinking standards as well as the Mathematical Practice Standards. **Answer key included.
These are not the typical math journal prompts. Many of the problems have multiple answers (answer key shows one possible answer) and require students to explain their thinking, represent math problems in different ways, and use critical thinking strategies to solve.
Included in this file is:
* A table that shows for each problem the topic, the CCSS content standard and suggested Mathematical Practices to focus on
* Teaching points/questions to ask for each Mathematical Practice before, during, and after work
* Vocabulary cards for words typically used in these programs – challenge your students to use these words in their answers
* 50 original open ended questions which match all of the 2nd grade Operations and Algebraic Thinking standards as well as the Mathematical Practices standards.
* Answer key with possible answers. Many of the problems can be answered in different ways, but an answer key is included to give you an idea.
Please feel free to contact with any questions!