NOTE: This puzzle is meant to be used after students have read the book. Also, because the answers to most of the clues consist of one word, students will benefit from the use of a thesaurus rather than a dictionary.
Students solve this crossword by providing synonyms and antonyms for 25 vocabulary words from MATILDA. Each clue contains a vocabulary word and the sentence in which it appears in the book. Students must provide either a synonym or an antonym for the challenging word.
Examples of clues:
* “It was my greatest TRIUMPH.” (ant.) ANSWER: failure
* A strange feeling of SERENITY and confidence was sweeping over her and…she found that she was frightened by nobody…. (ant.) ANSWER: excitement
* She was feeling curiously ELATED. (ant.) ANSWER: sad
* She opened it at RANDOM and placed it on Matilda’s desk. (Without ___; syn.) ANSWER: planning
* Matilda had never before seen a boy…held ALOFT by his ears alone. (3 words; syn.) ANSWER: in the air
More challenging—and fun!—than a typical vocabulary crossword!
The 25 words in this puzzle are also listed and defined on the MATILDA edition of Bookmarks Plus. See the list of products below.
Also, the same 25 words are part of my MATILDA 50-word Prereading Crossword, which familiarizes students with new words before they read the book. See the list of products below.
USE ALL THREE TO REINFORCE MEANING!
Please note that if you alert me of a mistake on one of my products, you’ll receive another product for the same title for free!.
Here are my unique products over MATILDA—view them in my store!
* Bookmarks Plus: MATILDA—A Very Handy Reading Aid!
Helps students keep track of main characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! A lot of helpful information at students’ fingertips! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
* MATILDA: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the Matilda edition of Bookmarks Plus and the Matilda Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
* MATILDA: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus!
Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
* MATILDA: 21 Chapter Title Cryptograms—Fun and Challenging!
Students decode the chapter titles from the story, with each cryptogram puzzle having its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
Word-Wise Educational Products
—more than 800 unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!