This unit was designed to give you a jumping off point for teaching and reading the book Matilda by Roald Dahl.
Because I teach upper grades, I centered it around the CCSS standards for 4th and 5th grades. As you know, the CCSS has standards across many grades that are similar, allowing this lesson packet to be used with many grades!
The unit includes the following lessons and resources:
1. Determining the Theme with Graphic Organizer and Writing Page
2. REGS Poster to Guide Thinking
3. Word Squares-Determining New Vocabulary Words with lesson plan
4. List of challenging vocabulary words from the entire text
5. Persuasive Writing-What is a Family?
6. Literature Circle Daily Group Assessment and Checklist
7. Literature Circle Responses (Students do 1 per section read):
a. Draw it Out
b. Characters, Characters, Characters!
c. Make a Prediction
d. Literary Device Round Up
e. Questions Galore
8. Open Mind Mapping