Also included in
- This "Matter and Change Bundle" includes everything you need to teach a unit on the properties of matter to your physical science or chemistry students. Many resources are available in BOTH printable and digital formats. The bundle contains a 37-slide PowerPoint presentation, lecture notes for the$34.99$45.72Save $10.73
These matter and change lab station activities will review and reinforce the topics and concepts taught in your unit on matter. Nothing gets kids more excited about science than doing science experiments. This set of 4 mini-labs includes experiments that are fun, engaging, and thought provoking. These experiments will reinforce the concepts you have taught in class as well as develop good critical thinking and problem solving skills.
The four lab stations cover density, proper lab techniques, mixtures, and chromatography. Students will learn how to separate the components of a mixture, and will learn that solids and liquids are not as easily defined as they thought. Students will identify that chemical changes have occurred when they observe a color change, the formation of a precipitate, and the release of gases.
The four lab stations can easily be completed in 2 class periods. Each station is a mini-lab that can be used as a stand-alone activity. You can do one station or do them all.
Purpose of the labs:
1. To determine the density of pennies minted before 1982 and after 1982.
2. To use paper chromatography as a method of separating the components of a mixture.
3. To determine if a strange substance is a solid or a liquid.
4. To observe several chemical changes.
Your download will contain 5 pages of editable handouts that are ready to be copied and passed out to your students. Included in the student handouts: Title, purpose, safety precautions, procedure, data tables, and analysis questions.
You will also receive a 7-page document for the teacher. This includes complete materials list, instructions for preparing solutions, suggestions for making the lab run smoothly, and answers to all questions.
You will receive both a Word document as well as a pdf of the worksheets.
Materials needed to complete these experiments:
Mini-Lab 1: Density of Pennies
Pennies minted prior to 1982
Pennies minted after 1982
Mini-Lab 2: What Color Is My Ink?
400 mL beaker
Glass stirring rod
Water soluble ink pens
Chromatography solvent (isopropyl alcohol)
Mini-Lab #3: Solid or Liquid?
Shallow bowl in which to mix the mixture
Mini-Lab #4: Is It Chemical or Physical?
6M hydrochloric acid
Related Products Include:
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well: