Search words: Matter, mass, volume, elements, compounds, mixtures, states of matter, solid, liquid, gas, physical change, chemical change, conservation of mass, density.
If you have never taught a lesson using a Powerpoint presentation, you have to give it a try! My students always prefer this to a traditional lecture.
This powerpoint is entitled, Matter and Change: Introductory Concepts for Physical Science and Chemistry. It consists of 37 slides that are colorful, informative and visually stimulating. Please download my free preview.
Please Note: This product is included in a bundled unit plan of 11 products on Matter and Change. You can view the entire unit by Clicking here: Matter and Change Unit Bundle
Topics covered are:
1) Properties of Matter: Matter, volume, weight, mass.
2) Elements and Compounds: Atom, molecule, element, compound, mixture, characteristics of elements and compounds.
3) Mixtures: Mixture, how to distinguish mixtures from elements and compounds, homogeneous, heterogeneous, methods of separating mixtures
4) States of Matter: characteristics of solids, liquids, gases; change in phase.
5) Properties and Changes in Matter: Definition of property, intensive and extensive properties, chemical and physical properties
6) Chemical and Physical Changes: definitions and examples, reactants and products
7) Conservation of Mass
8) Density: definitions, density equation, the effect of temperature and pressure on density
9) Three density practice problems
10) Each section of the powerpoint has critical thinking and analysis questions to check for student understanding.
This powerpoint was written with a typical physical science or chemistry class in mind. It can easily be edited. Middle school teachers may simply want to delete a few of the slides. Honors teachers can easily include a few extra details.
Also included is a set of notes to accompany this powerpoint. It includes a complete set of notes for the teacher (6pages), and an outline of the notes for the students (7 pages). Students will use the outline as the powerpoint is being presented and will fill in the notes as the lesson is being taught. I have included the notes in two formats: Word documents and pdf files. Your download will include the powerpoint presentation, teacher notes in two formats, and student outlines in 2 formats.
Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for looking.
My other products related to this topic:
Lab: Conservation of Mass
Lab: Determining Density
Lab: The Boiling Points of Liquids
Test: Matter and Change
Atoms and Atomic Structure Task Cards
Density Practice Problems
Quiz: Matter and Density
Matter and Change Jeopardy Powerpoint Review Game
The Ultimate Lab Safety Bundle for Science Teachers
Lab: Use of Lab Equipment and Data Analysis Skills
Matter and Change Crossword Puzzle
Matter and Change Set of 2 Homework Assignments
Matter and Change 4 Mini Labs
Matter and Change Task Cards
Amy Brown - Science Stuff