May Packet for 7th Grade!
Close reading comprehension questions modeled after the Common Core standards!
All of the following excerpts, charts, passages and diagrams are associated with either a variety of multiple choice reading comprehension questions, open-response questions, student inquiry, both short and long answer questions or a combination of strategies.
Students will get acquainted with taking complex-question assessments. Use for; weekly assessments, pre-assessment, post-assessment, progress monitoring, and whatever else you have in mind!
Questions involve; close reading, using context clues, inference, poetry elements, plot, characterization, analytical reading, comprehension, reading for meaning, vocabulary and so much more!
May Packet Includes:
1- Poem- Daffodils
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, figurative language, poetic elements, summary
2- Fiction – Excerpt from The Black Pearl
- Key Elements: Close read, point of view, deciphering meaning, understanding illustrations
3- Biography – Scott O’Dell
- Key Elements: Close read, synonyms, understanding nonfiction and the events of a person’s life
4- Poem – Whenever I see a Soldier Boy
- Key Elements: Close read of poetry, poetic elements, deciphering meaning, understanding lines in a poem and how they relate to the overall message, tone, theme
5- Nonfiction – The Corps of Discovery Expedition
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, understanding a map
6- Nonfiction – Cinco de Mayo
- Key Elements: Close read, structure, deciphering a map, understanding meaning as it relates to a nonfiction article
7- Fiction – Excerpt from The Finisher
- Key Elements: Close read, understanding writing style, identifying unknown terms/ using context clues, irony, figurative language, point of view
8- Nonfiction – Excerpt from The Great Fire
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning, challenges faced, vocabulary definitions, understanding maps, organization of a nonfiction article
9- Nonfiction- Excerpt from The Chunnel
- Key Elements: Close read, deciphering meaning
- PLUS - Extra Activity - Nonfiction Connections
10- Nonfiction – Neil Armstrong’s Moon Walk
- Key Elements: Close read, synonyms, analyzing personality based on clues from the text, understanding quotes, main idea/supporting details.
11- Greek Myth – Pandora’s Box
- Key Elements: Close read of a myth, character development, prefix/suffix, theme
Resources/Literature/Answer Key Included- All of these works have copyright information listed on the reference/literature page and/or I have been given permission to use the passages in my packet. The last page is a complete literature/ bibliography of the works that are used in this packet as well as resources that I may have utilized while creating this packet.
CCSS/Lexile levels Included!
*I truly value your feedback*
**NOTE**If you are purchasing more than one grade level packet of the same month within middle school (6-8) please note that they are extremely similar. This is because Common Core groups middle school as 6-8 and the concepts are very similar throughout the three years. Some passages/questions differ depending on the monthly packet. Please read the contents carefully and email if you have any questions!
Any questions or concerns, email@example.com
Have a great year!
Novel Nutritious Creations
© 2016 Novel Nutritious Creations. Permission is granted to buyer for single classroom use. No part of this work, including clip art, may be copied and/or reused in another product or format.