Eight no-prep activities provide hours of independent learning for third, fourth, and fifth grade students. This May Independent Learning Module includes a 12-page student booklet, answer keys, rubric and an interactive website. Kids engage in meaningful learning experiences on their devices (computer, Chromebook, iPad, etc.) and respond in their packets. It’s a teacher’s (or parent’s) dream come true!
I'm focusing on Internet activities this year. Kids everywhere love them (including my fourth graders). Listen to just a few comments:
“I know I told you before how impressed I was with your ILMs. I continue to be impressed with the high quality assignments given to my students. I have been using them as an early finisher project for students who finish their writing and reading projects first, but they all love them so much that I have students begging to stay in at recess, at lunch, and at other “self selected” times. They love, love, love these. It definitely gives me a few minutes of peace and quiet, and my students are total engaged with high quality educational material. I cannot begin to thank you enough. Keep making these please! I will keep returning!
Fun projects for my kids who don’t go to RTI. Challenging, but not too much so.
I saw my co-teacher using January and was so amazed. The students loved it and they were engaged and had great conversations. HAD to get February! Can’t wait to see the rest of the year!
Click on PREVIEW to take a quick peek.
What Is It?
Each Independent Learning Module (ILM) merges digital content with engaging activities. The specially designed website houses texts, presentations, and learning links. It was designed to keep high third grade students, average to high fourth grade students, and all fifth grade students working independently.
How Can I Use It?
• Online Fun for All - The April ILM provides eight fun, meaningful lessons. You can use them individually, assign them over the course of the month, enjoy a full day of online learning, or however you’d like!
• I’m Done, Now What? - Let the independent projects provide anchor activities for early finishers or enrichment material for gifted and talented learners.
• Five Minutes Peace (and More!) - Are you behind on grading? Do you need to meet with individual students or small groups? The independent learning module will keep your students busy for hours.
• Sub Plans - For a full day (or two) of sub plans, just leave the ILM! Kids will learn, work independently, and have fun.
• Homeschool (or Learn at Home) – Hey, parents! This is a great way to enhance your homeschool curriculum. It’s also fantastic for kids who go to school but need some extra enrichment at home.
This month’s module includes activities for eight subjects. Each activity relates to plants and growing things. For a more complete unit on plants (which includes portions of this ILM), try Exploring Biology Unit: Plant Parts for Big Kids
Informational Text – Pollination
• ILM Online - Students read an infographic on pollination. To extend learning, they watch “The Beauty of Pollination” to see how insects, birds, and bats help in the pollination process. Then they watch a second video to see how a pear goes from flower to fruit.
• ILM Packet - Students label the parts of a flower, explain the pollination process, and tell what happens after the flower is pollinated.
Language – Ordering Adjectives
• ILM Online – An explanation and list of seven adjective types helps kids understand how adjectives are ordered.
• ILM Packet – Given a table, they generate descriptive adjectives for five nouns. Then they write the adjective phrase using the correct order and punctuation.
Listening – Seed Dispersal
• ILM Online – An thirteen-minute video explains types of seed dispersal.
• ILM Packet – Students take notes on the three main kinds of dispersal and give examples.
Literature – Classic Literature
• ILM Online - The full text of “The Conceited Apple Branch” by Hans Christian Andersen is posted.
• ILM Packet - Children answer questions, summarize, and find a theme for the passage.
Math – Mathematical Reasoning
• ILM Online - A video explores two strategies for improving mathematical reasoning: drawing a picture and making a table.
• ILM Packet - Students compare pricing on seed packets to determine the best deal. Then they plan a garden with three types of plants, each with different spacing requirements.
Science – Photosynthesis
• ILM Online – A five-minute video explains the process of photosynthesis. Additional links provide supporting articles.
• ILM Packet - Students take notes on photosynthesis video.
Social Studies – Deforestation
• ILM Online - Students explore two websites to learn about deforestation.
• ILM Packet - First, they define forestation, tell where it’s occurring most, and list two main reasons for deforestation. Then they list specific causes and effects of deforestation, as well as what one person can do to help.
Writing – Science Writing
• ILM Online – Kids explore germination of a bean through a diagram and a video. Then they watch one of two videos (basic and advanced) that model strategies for improving informative writing.
• ILM Packet – Kids write and improve their own paragraphs on germination.
What Standards Are Covered?
• Informational Text – interpreting information presented visually
• Language – ordering adjectives
• Listening – paraphrasing and identifying main points in an oral presentation
• Literature – answering questions, summarizing, and finding a theme
• Math – using mathematical reasoning to solve problems
• Science - understanding energy transfer in photosynthesis
• Social Studies – understanding how man impacts earth’s resources
• Writing - writing informative texts; strengthening writing
A new ILM will be published each month. Follow my store to be notified as they are released.
• October ILM
• November ILM
• December ILM
• January ILM
• February ILM
• March ILM
• April ILM