MAY POETRY LESSON –
• Fourth grade students will read ELM BUDS, by Carl Sandburg
and talk about how poetry can change one thing into another
through the magic of comparison (simile/metaphor).
• Teachers can bring in a vase of various other spring blossoms
and try a class poem about 1 stem.
• Teachers can lay the other stems on student tables.
• Each child will draw the blossom in pencil, using as much detail
as possible. Then the student can use water colors to enhance
each blossom, using the correct colors.
• Lastly, the student will write a poem about his/her blossom,
using the magic of comparison (simile and metaphor)