Mayflower Compact Common Core Close Reading
The following resource is a series of lessons on the Mayflower Compact. It was created for a 7th grade middle school classroom but could be adapted for high school. The unit is aligned to the common core. It encourages students to think about the text and infer. Students are asked to provide details and explanations for the critical thinking questions.
It also aligns to the research component of the common core. Included in the resource is:
1. Pilgrims background knowledge note sheet, one where students fill in, one that has the background knowledge provided for them.
2. Mayflower Compact: One copy has words in bold, the other does not.
3. Critical Thinking questions- questions are designed to have students go back to the text and provide evidence or details.
4. Drawing Conclusions and Inferences graphic organizer - This could be used as a summary at the end of lessons or given as a homework assignment.
5. Analyzing the Mayflower Compact Worksheet – 4 excerpts from Mayflower Compact, student would analyze the text and create meaning. I have also included a differentiated activity with an answer key. The differentiated activity would ask the students to match translations to the excerpts instead of creating their own meaning.
6. Easier activity for Analyzing the document , excerpts are shorter, could be used as a review or for struggling learners.
7. Art Detective Activity - painting of Mayflower Compact, guiding questions are provided.
8. Acrostic Poem on Pilgrims, 2 styles included
You can alter and adjust these activities, you can do parts of them or all of them!
Once additional licenses have been purchased, you may distribute to other colleagues.You may not reproduce any part of this resource for commercial sale. • Electronically distributing, posting, storing, displaying, sharing, website posting, is prohibited unless permission has be given from Lisa Battista.
If you found this resource helpful, I would really appreciate your feedback.
Follow me on TPT to see new products, sales and updates!