The main goal of this unit is to challenge students to think critically and to discuss the themes introduced through The Road. During this unit, students should read portions of the novel aloud, collaboratively, and independently.
These five lesson plans asks students to analyze literary devices employed in the text, discuss themes and the questions those themes inspire, and adapt quick writes into further multi-genre writing assignments.
The culminating project of this unit is a portfolio of multi-genre work that can be evaluated by completeness and a previously discussed rubric.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to "The Road"
- Lesson 2: Audience and Purpose
- Lesson 3: Setting/Brainstorming
- Lesson 4: Foreshadowing & Predictions
- Lesson 5: Reflect on "The Road"