This is a hit! In this complete Egyptian mummy lesson, students read a two page close reading about the historical religious background of mummification in Egypt, complete a literacy and writing graphic organizer and create a life-size sarcophagus!
Students trace an outline of a classmate as model mummy, then they create a three-dimensional sarcophagus to fit him/her! As in Ancient Egypt, the sarcophagus is completed with Egyptian hieroglyphics, pictures of the Nile/nature and gods to assist the deceased to the afterlife. Students even symbolically remove the heart and draw dried organs in jar templates to travel with the mummy! This lesson comes with step-by-step instructions, an attention-grabbing introduction teacher reading and examples.
As always this lesson has TONS of options for teachers to choose what works best for their class level and personal style! Here’s what’s included:
1.Historical background of mummification two-page close reading.
2. A reading historical text annotation guide
3. A writing and literacy based graphic organizer
4. Answer keys
5. Teacher instructions
6. A fun five sensory short, introductory teacher reading for a "close your eyes and imagine" attention grabber
7. Step by step student directions with pictures
8. A student job checklist
9. Example pictures and a hieroglyphics chart
This was a LABOR OF LOVE! Have a great lesson!
✎✎✎ Check out the PREVEIW!
Tony Pavlovich, Instructomania