Objective: Students will discover the relationship of inches, feet, and yards. Students will apply their understanding in the context of an everyday situation.
• Yardstick and rulers
• Square inch cubes
• Paper strips – 1 foot
1. Distribute strips of paper (equal to a foot) – Have students determine how many inches are in a foot.
2. Then have students use rulers to determine how many feet are in a yard. (Extend to how many inches in a yard).
3. Create a chart of feet and inches. Ask students to look for a relationship amongst the measurements.
4. Measure student’s height. (each student).
5. Introduce problem – Which rides can we ride at Cedar Point. Have students suggest ways to convert our height to inches only to see what rides we can ride.
6. Model with your own height.
7. Have students try with their own individual heights to see what rides they can ride. (Check out youtube for videos of the rides!)
I have included a graphic organizer that guides students through the lesson!