Are you looking ways to keep your students engaged and learning here at the end of the school year or after testing? Or for a unique way to practice measurement problems? These puzzle race games are perfect for those times when students just need more time with their skills, but not in worksheet form. They’re also good for the holidays or those days when the weather’s not cooperating and your students are inside for recess.
This product includes 6 different word problem strips, all using measurement conversions skills (both customary and metric) and a fun spring puzzle. This is a whole class game. Divide your students into partner groups. Each group starts with a word problem strip (it doesn’t matter what order you give these – groups can start with the same or different word problem strips. When the group completes the word problem, they bring their answer to you to check (use the answer key). If they get it correct, they trade their word problem strip for a puzzle piece and another word problem strip. Continue this way until the all groups completes their puzzle. You may give hints, allow students to use their notes or interactive notebooks, or choose to have them work on these without.
1. Copy the puzzle on different colored copy paper – separate color for each group. Place puzzles in separate baggies. When students get their answer correct, they just tell you what color they are, and you hand them a color from their bag. You don’t have to give pieces out in the same order for each group.
2. Have students glue their puzzle on a sheet of copy paper when they have finished it. This way, they can turn it in for a completion grade.
3. Partner students who struggle with the math concept with students who are more fluent. This is a great way to have students peer tutor each other!
4. Let students work out their problems on white boards. They can bring you their white board to check their answer.
Your students will have a ball playing this game, and they will get some quality practice with their math skills.
Make sure to follow The Owl Spot for updates on new products, sales, and other great resources for your classroom! Just click the green star above!
For more great resources, check out these links to products!
- ** Bargain Bin
- ** Bundles
- ** FREE
- Anchor Charts: Math
- Anchor Charts: Reading
- Back To School
- Clip Art
- Digital Products
- Math 3rd Grade
- Math 4th Grade
- Math 5th Grade
- Math K-2
- Novel Studies
- Readers' Theater Primary Grades
- Readers' Theater: Middle Grades
- Readers' Theater: Social Studies
- Reading 3-5
- Reading 6-8
- Reading K-2
- Social Studies
- Sub Plans
- Task Cards: Math
- Task Cards: Reading
- Test Prep
- Writing 3-5
- Writing 6-8
- Writing K-2
Happy Teaching from The Owl Spot!