Help students improve their ability to reason with units of length with this match and sort activity!
This activity can be used as a whole-group task, small-group work, partner work, or as a math center.
Identifying units of length in Imperial and Metric systems of measurement, converting between units within systems, and classifying lengths from shortest to longest
24 match-up cards (12 Imperial units and 12 Metric units)
1 activity sheet for recording answers
1. Provide students with a set of the measurement cards. (They can either be prepped ahead of time or students can cut them out themselves).
2. Students spread the cards out so that they can see all of the different measurements. (This could also be played as a concentration game if so desired.)
3. Students look for pairs of cards that express the same length, but in two different units. For example, 300 centimeters is the same as 3 meters, so those two cards would be a pair.
4. After finding all of the pairs, students then order all of the cards from shortest to longest length.
5. Once students have matched and sorted the cards, they should complete the included activity sheet to record their answers and show their work.
An answer key is provided to simplify assessing work.