Measuring Matter – A Fourth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 4th grade level instructional presentation
It includes: a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with four fully interactive slides that are also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook.
The presentation includes:
• Introduction to measuring matter terminology (metric system, length, area, weight, density, and gravity)
• Standard and metric systems of measurement explained
• Length/width, area, and volume introduced
• Finding area and volume for non-rectangular shapes
• Density overview
• How density affects buoyancy
• Weight vs. mass
The last 4 slides are white-background slides used for the printables. The printables are already in PDF form in the package. The white-background pages are not included in the total pages. I include them in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printables.
The interactive/review slides and printables:
• Activity one has students identifying terminology through a matching activity. Terms included are metric system, standard system, density, buoyancy, area, length, gravity, graduated cylinder, width, volume, and weight.
• Activity two has students calculating and converting millimeters and centimeters.
• Activity three has students identifying volume and determining mid-range measurements between listed volume values using knowledge of fractions.
• Activity four has students calculating area with length and width given. Two questions have shapes that are a combination of two rectangles. Students will have to find the two areas and add them together.