~ Weight, Balance, and Length ~
Teach your students to measure and estimate weight, balance, and length using non-standard units of measurement! This zip file contains 5 ready-to-go engaging activities for your primary classroom.
1) Balance Task Cards
- Which weighs more? Use these balance task cards to teach measurement with non-standard units in your primary/junior classroom. This PDF download includes 9 pages of 18 balance task cards. These task cards allow students to weigh objects and figure out which object is heaver between the two, find objects on their own that possess equal weight, and find objects that possess heavier, lighter, or equal weight distribution.
2) Comparing Length Scavenger Hunt
- In this activity, students will go on a scavenger hunt around the classroom to find 4 objects that are shorter than their pencil and 4 object that are longer than their pencil. On the activity sheet, students will record which objects are shorter and which objects are longer than their pencils.
3) Measuring with Non-Standard Units
- Students will look around the class and choose an object that they want to measure. Using the snap cubes, links, popsicle sticks, straws, and counters, students will measure the length of the selected object and record their calculated lengths on the activity sheet chart. Students will repeat this a total of 4 times with 4 different chosen objects to measure.
4) How Many Bears Does it Weigh?
- Students must place the indicated objects on the balance scale and attempt to distribute the weight of the object with several teddy bear counters on the other side. They must figure out how many bears it takes to balance the weight of the object.
*This is a bundle product for measurement. If you wish to purchase only the Balance Task Cards, those are available for individual purchase in my store.*
Please rate and leave feedback!
- Hal's Hallway