In this 10-lesson unit, students will learn about advertising and the media to become more Media Literate. The unit includes 10 ready-to-use lessons, including an advertising techniques vocabulary quiz (with an answer key).
It is designed for students in grades 5-8
1. What is Media? – students will brainstorm different types of media on their own and with a partner to create a mind map/brainstorm web.
2. Mass Media Diet – students will examine their own media consumption habits and create up to four class-wide bar graphs to chart the types of media they consume.
3. Advertising Techniques– students will learn about 13 different ways that advertisers shape their desires.
4. Print Ad Analysis – students will locate advertisements and determine the methods of advertising that are being utilized.
5. Advertising Techniques Vocabulary Quiz – students will match each advertising technique with its definition. 10 questions. Includes answer key.
6. Slogans– students will match well-known slogans with their brands and then record some others that they have heard. With answer key.
7. Obvious and Implied Messages – students will learn about the obvious and hidden messages presented in advertising. Includes answer key
8. Target-Specific Marketing– students will learn that media and advertisers target their product to specific genders, age groups, socioeconomic status, etc. and will analyze advertisements to determine the target audiences of each. Includes answer key.
9. Stereotypes in Media – students will learn what stereotypes are and look for them in print ads.
10. Create an Advertisement PROJECT – a culminating project, putting together what they have learned about advertising, with a suggested marking rubric.
Download the preview to see all the pages.
You may be interested in these other Middle School Language Arts resources:
Middle School Mythology Unit
Middle School Poetry Pack
Literature Circle/Book Discussion Question Cards
Figurative Language Print-and-Go Practice Sheets
Please note - By purchasing, you have a license to use the material but you do not own the material. Your license is non-transferable, meaning you cannot share it with any other teacher. You may not upload any portion of this resource to the internet in any format, including school/personal websites or network drives unless the site is password protected and can only be accessed by students, not other teachers or anyone else on the internet.
*Follow me to get notifications of new products, sales, and flash freebies! Click the green star next to my store name above!