Can't decide which media studies triangle lesson you want? Why not have them both? Buy the bundle and you'll save yourself $2!
This bundle features lessons on the media studies triangle. The media studies triangle is a framework for media analysis. I use advertisements as media texts to analyze, but once students understand the concept of the media triangle, they can then transfer that knowledge to other media texts (e.g. movies, products, news articles, etc.)
The difference between the basic and advanced version is the approach. The basic version approaches the media studies triangle with a series of questions to answer. The advanced version approaches analysis with a series of concepts for students to consider. I use the advanced version for senior/university classes so that they do not rely on a fixed set of questions to guide them through their analysis. By giving them concepts to consider, it broadens their thinking.
This zip file includes the following:
- The Media Studies Triangle handout with questions for students to use when examining a media text
- A PowerPoint with examples of ads and questions to help get the class started on analyzing using the media studies triangle
- A class activity analyzing Ricky Martin’s Livin’ La Vida Loca music video. (You can find this on YouTube.) I completed some of the analysis and the class is suppose to add to it.
- A homework/class activity examining a Rowenta (vacuum cleaner) advertisement using the media studies triangle.
- The answer key for the media studies examination of that same Rowenta ad.
- A PowerPoint introducing the media studies triangle with each side representing specific concepts followed by an example analysis using the 2013 Hyundai Super Bowl commercial
- A blank handout for students to write notes
I also sell them separately! You can check out the concept led (advanced) approach to the media triangle here
and the question based (basic) approach here
You also aren't restricted to using one or the other! You can introduce the more advanced approach to students, but then use the PowerPoint from the basic approach as practice. Or you can use the handouts from the basic approach, but show the advanced version as an example of how deep media analysis can go. These are simply tools for you to do your thing! :)
Check out these other related products:
FIVE CORE CONCEPTS WITH EXAMPLE ANALYSIS
AD DESIGN THEORY: The OGLIVY LAYOUT
INTRO TO AD CAMPAIGNS
INTRO TO TARGET AUDIENCE
BRAND ANALYSIS AND ASSIGNMENT