Media Literacy Unit | PDF & Digital Formats: Help your students develop a deeper understanding of media literacy with this engaging 10 lesson unit. Students will learn about the various techniques advertisers use to make commercials and public service announcements effective. Lessons include target audience, commercial techniques, PSA techniques, and effective camera angles and shots. This unit culminates with a student-created PSA project.
- This resource contains individual PDFs of student pages to assist with online learning i.e. Google Classroom™. The unit also comes with Google Slides™ versions of the included graphic organizers for 1:1 technology schools.
1. Introduction to Media, Media Literacy, and Critical Thinking
2. Commercials vs. PSAs
3. Commercial and PSA Techniques
4. Modelled Commercial and PSA Analysis
5. PSA Analysis Group Practice
6. PSA Assessment
7. Commercial Analysis Group Practice
8. Commercial Assessment
9. Creating Effective Videos
10. Student-Directed PSA Creation
- "This has great ideas. I love how the units are so well explained."
- "Excellent. Your units are always helpful."
- "This seller has amazing products. I wish I can carry her around in my pocket all day when I teach! :) Thank you for your expertise and knowledge in making teaching and learning FUN and engaging."
- "This is a great resource to get the kids looking more critically at media."
- "My students are loving this unit! They are having soo much fun."
- "Absolutely love this unit :) So creative and very informative. My students are loving it. I can always count on you for great resources ."
- "Everything by this seller is excellent."
Other Media Literacy Resources
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Clothing Waste
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Gender Price Differences
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Outlet vs. Retail
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Breakfast Sandwiches
- Media Literacy: Consumer Awareness Lesson - Misleading Food Labels
- Media Literacy Review Writing 16 Lessons
- Regular reliable internet access is required for this unit
- Internet must be able to access online video sources
- This resource is a non-editable PDF, with Google Classroom compatible PDFs included
- 10 differentiated lessons
- Regular and modified graphic organizers
- Individual PDFs of student pages for uploading to Google Classroom or other online learning portals
- Google Slides graphic organizers for 1 to 1 technology classrooms
- Detailed unit plan
- Lessons divided up with title pages for easy access
- Detailed teacher directions
- Assessment rubrics (levels or points)