Students enjoy studying media literacy. This food analysis activity has lesson plans, worksheets, and other tools to teach marketing and advertising in food products. This unit does not have students create their own advertisements. Rather, students analyze and evaluate real marketing campaigns helping them with their media literacy smarts.
I have taught this unit independently for when students show interest in marketing, or when our school makes changes in school lunches or vending machines. I have also taught it in conjunction with stories that highlight advertising research or marketing, such as:
"Contents of the Dead Man's Pockets"
"The Truman Show"
This unit includes:
→ Lesson plans with common core objectives; step-by-step directions; possible scripts and question prompts; answers for questions.
→ Differentiation ideas. Each grade (7th, 8th, 9th-10th, and 11th-12th) has instructions specialized for reaching the common core, but ideas for further differentiating in those classes.
• Over TEN student worksheets which include:
- Brainstorming sheet for common knowledge
- Analytical tool
- An overall picture of marketing
- Explanation of the unit's purpose (common core and and individual objectives with research/ statistics about food marketing)
* Guided questions
* Marketing effectiveness summary sheet
This is the perfect addition to a media literacy unit. Students will start to recognize marketing in food packaging, videos, and web.
• Grammar Review With Food
• Teaching Audience Analysis with Commercials
• Teaching Ethos, Pathos, and Logos with Commercials