Media Literacy and Advertising – Students will love this 14 day comprehensive media unit! A very detailed Unit Overview provides the teacher with ready-to-use lessons, activities, and discussion talking points. Creating a cereal and designing the box will get students excited about ELA!
1. Unit Overview – daily breakdown of the advertising unit
2. Ads All Around Us (2 pages) – students explore the world of advertising by examining familiar logos and slogans (answer key provided)
3. Advertising Strategies (2 pages) – pathos, ethos, and logos are defined and students identify which strategy is used in example advertisements (answer key provided)
4. More Advertising Strategies – seven more specific advertising strategies are defined, along with examples
5. Define that Demographic – students learn how products are geared towards specific genders, age groups, etc.
6. The Perfect Fit (2 pages) – example advertisements are analyzed to determine the target audiences (student example provided)
7. Cereal Box Analysis – colors, pictures, fonts, etc. on cereal boxes are examined (detailed cereal box breakdown provided)
8. Create a Cereal – three-step directions outlined for students to create their own cereal box
9. Survey Sheet – targeted audience is surveyed for product research
10. Design Guide – written and visual components for cereal box provided
11. Cereal Box Template – sheet for layout and design of cereal box rough draft
12. Rubric – 100 point grading sheet
13. Examples – three student example cereal boxes