Also included in
- Save BIG with this set of 12 writing units! Meet every single writing standard as students progress through 12 engaging and detailed units. This writing unit bundle includes units for Narrative, Expository, Persuasive, Descriptive, Memoir, Biography, Speech, Opinion, Poetry, Letter, Myth, and Fabl$99.99$113.38Save $13.39
Get your students writing by tapping into their natural inclination to share about their lives. This extremely detailed and engaging Memoir Writing Unit first immerses students in the memoir genre. Then, using their understanding of the mentor texts they investigated, students write their own memoir.
Since memoir writing is about focusing on a moment in one's life, there are several engaging activities from graphing life events to drawing a street map that will help students reflect on their lives so that they can choose a focused writing topic. In addition, students will maintain a Writer's Notebook during the unit to emulate the work of real authors and spark ideas for their own writing.
After students complete pre-write activities, they'll take task, purpose, and audience into consideration as they write their own memoir. Emulating mentor texts and improving their writing through Author's Craft Mini-Lessons, students produce exceptional memoirs that they'll proudly share with their peers.
Digital Version Included - This resource includes a traditional PDF version of the student writing packet, as well as a link for Google Slides. This means that this resource is ready for Google Classroom! The digital version of the packet is accessible from any computer and allows students to complete their work online. You’ll find links for digital versions of the student writing packet and the grading rubric included with this resource.
Quick Unit Overview:
Days 1-2: Memoir Genre Study
Days 3-4: Developing Topic Ideas
Days 5-6: Pre-Writes, First Draft, Author’s Craft
Days 7-9: Revising, Conferencing, and Editing
Day 10: Share Memoirs
Strategies and Activities:
- Reading and investigating mentor texts
- Listening comprehension
- Developing topic ideas
- Selecting a strong writing topic
- Pre-Write: Plot Events, Sensory Details, Characterization, Setting
- Author’s Craft Study and Draft Revision: Leads, Showing vs. Telling, Dialogue, Figurative Language
- Draft Revisions
- Peer Conferencing and Editing
- Grammar and Conventions
- Publishing Writing
- Six Word Memoir
- Memoir Writer’s Notebook (5 Reflective Prompts)
- Memoir Interview
- Six Word Memoir
- Final Memoir Writing Piece
Materials included in this unit:
- Listing of Mentor Texts
- Student Memoir Packet
- Student Writer's Notebook with 5 prompts
- Daily lesson plans for the 10 day unit
- Sample Listening Comprehension Key
- Memoir Writing Rubric
FYI: This unit is also a part of a massive Writing Unit Bundle. The bundle is filled with 12 Writing Units - everything you'll need for an entire year of writing instruction! You can check it out HERE.
You may also like…
- 10 Writing Lessons to Build Better Writers - Use with any writing unit
- Doodle and Do Reading Skills Units - 5 mini-units with Doodle Pages for Note Taking and Engaging Activities
- Independent Reading Program
- Persuasive Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
Brain Waves Instruction