This product is designed as an introduction for students to write a memoir. It focuses on use of descriptive language and reflection about events in their lives. It begins with students thinking about different events in their lives and whether they were "good" or "bad". Then, they think about the difference between a personal narrative and a memoir. They read an example of a short memoir; then, they write their own with the help of an outline.
This unit can be modified and adjusted based on the needs of your students. It can also take as much time as you want it to. For reference, when I do it, it is approximately 15 to 20 days in class depending on access to technology.
This product includes:
- An introduction to the unit
- A My Life Graph activity for students
- An article for students about the differences between personal narrative and memoir
- An example memoir from Scholastic SCOPE Magazine
- A rubric for the final product out of 75 points with example formatting of the memoir
- A packet outline of the students memoir based on the five elements of plot
**The outline and rubric are also available for $3.50