Memorial Day Literacy Centers: Patriotic Contractions
★ 4 Separate Sets – Matching Memory/Concentration
★ 48 Pairs of Contractions and Their Components
★ Text is color coded to keep sets separated.
★ 2 Ways to Play
★ Optional recording sheets for students to write the contractions and the two words from which each is made.
★ Answer keys for each set are included.
★ Play as a simple independent matching activity or as a partner game.
The file can simply print just the contractions and their components with graphics on just one side if you don’t want any backings on the cards.
However, I have provided backings that can be used in two ways. You can print the entire file as is, and glue the backings to each of the 4 sets of Memorial Day Patriotic Memory/Concentration, OR you can print the backings on the reverse side of the contractions and their components by following these directions:
Print pages 1 & 2(these directions and seller information).
Print pages 3 - 10 - sheets of contractions and their matching components
Place pages 3-10 in the Printer’s Tray face up and facing you.
Now Print pages 11-18 - 5 different Memorial Day Patriotic Graphics will print out on the back of each set.
Pages 19-26 are 8 recording sheets (4 color and 4 black and white)
You can laminate the colored versions, and ask students to use erasable markers OR
You can make copies of the black and white versions, and students can record in pencil.
Page 27 is the color coded answer key.
Pages 28 & 29 contains 4 Contractions Champion Awards (2 in color and 2 in black and white)
Cut the contractions and contraction components sheets on the paper cutter into 12 square cards each.
Put the sets together according to their backings (or text color if you decided not to have backings).
Sets can be kept in baggies when not in use.
There are 24 cards per set.
Shuffle cards and place face down in 4 rows of 6.
Students take turns turning over 2 cards at a time and keeping them if they are a match (a contraction and its two components).
ANOTHER WAY TO ASSEMBLE AND PLAY:
If you prefer, you can keep the sheets of contractions in tact as gameboards. Then, cut the other sheets with the component words into cards. This can be an individual activity for students to simply place the correct component cards onto the matching contractions.
Please click on any of the GREEN LINKS BELOW to see my other Memorial Day Learning Activities. Thank you!
Memorial Day BUNDLE VALUE - A $5.00 Savings!
Early Primary Grades - 115+ Pages - All 5 Products in This Bundle Have a 4.0 Rating!
This bundle contains:
• Memorial Day Emergent Readers (2 Reading Levels - 3 Versions of Each Level
• Memorial Day Poems and Songs - 16 Poems in Color and Black and White for Students to Color
• Memorial Day Counting and Skip Counting Activities - Count by ones, twos, fives, and tens to 100.
• Memorial Day Themed Sight Word Game Boards - A Set of 5 Different Game Boards Containing the First 100 Dolch Sight Words
• Memorial Day Sight Word Activities - 9 Sets - 3 Ways to Play - First 100 Dolch Sight Words
Memorial Day Emergent Readers
- Easy Assembly – 2 Reading Levels - 3 Versions of Each Level – 14 Page Download - Use for guided reading and/or send home, and learn about Memorial Day at the same time.
• One version of each level has colored clipart.
• One version of each level has black and white clipart for students to color.
• One version at each level has text only for your students to illustrate to demonstrate their comprehension.
Send home for that home/school connection.
Memorial Day and Patriotic Poems and Songs
– 29 page file – All Illustrated with Patriotic themed Graphics-2 Versions – Color and B/W. 16 Poems/Songs, some about Memorial Day and some about the flag and patriotism. Just choose those you like, and print just those pages. Larger patriotic images to cut out and glue onto shared reading charts. Sing to familiar tunes, or chant. Use some or all year after year.
Memorial Day PowerPoint Presentation- 32 slides - 2 Reading Levels + 16 Songs/Poems
to sing to popular children's tunes! This PowerPoint Presentation contains 16 Memorial Day Patriotic Songs that are in one of my other Memorial Day Products as well as both versions of the Memorial Day mini-book, emergent and more difficult. Have a sing along and learn about Memorial Day at the same time.
Memorial Day Literacy Center Activities – Memorial Day Patriotic - Match Upper & Lower Case Letters
– Counting to 20 -14 Page Download – 4 Ways to Play - Memorial Day Patriotic graphics with the lower case letters of the alphabet match up to other Memorial Day patriotic graphics with the upper case letters. Numbers 1-20 to arrange in order as well. Optional recording sheets for students to write the alphabet and the numbers. Optional Alphabet and Counting Awards.
Memorial Day Literacy Centers: Patriotic Contractions
– 4 Separate Sets – Matching Memory/Concentration - 48 Pairs of Contractions and Their Components- 29 Page Download – Text is color coded to keep sets separated. 2 Ways to Play - Optional recording sheets for students to write the contractions and the two words from which each is made. Answer keys for each set are included. Play as a simple independent matching activity or as a partner game.
Memorial Day Literacy Centers Patriotic Build A Word Wheels – Set 1 –
Different Ways To Use & Record – 63 Different Combinations of Wheels, so you can make 63 Word Builder Wheels with this set! - Includes 4 Word Builder Awards & 8 Recording Sheets – Great for Differentiating Word Building Practice with your students - 7 inner wheels and 9 outer wheels
Memorial Day Sight Words Activities Patriotic Theme SET 1
- 9 Separate Games - 3 Ways to Play - 48 page download - First 100 Dolch Words. (See set 2 in my other product listings for the last 120 Dolch Words.)
Memorial Day Patriotic Sight Word Activities SET TWO
– 10 Sets – Memory, Roll and Read, Follow the Path, and Go Fish! 4 Ways to Play - 48 page download – Last 120 Dolch Words. (See set 1 in my other product listings for the first 100 Dolch Words with different backings and font size to differentiate from set 2.)
Memorial Day Math Centers Activities - Patriotic Addition Fact Activities to 20! -
3 Ways to Play - 40 page download – 167 Addition Facts to 20 (Subtraction Facts available in my other product listings .)
Memorial Day Math Centers: Patriotic Subtraction Facts Activities to 20 -
3 Ways to Play - 50 page download – 231 Subtraction Facts to 20. Differentiate!
(Addition Facts to 20 available in my other product listings .)
Memorial Day Math Centers: Patriotic Fact Families -Triangle Facts - 102 Fact Families
with Patriotic graphics with all number families to 18 -
Great for learning addition and subtraction facts! (32 Different Patriotic Graphics) - 25 Page Download - Being able to write the number facts for a Fact Family is an important skill that helps students realize how memorizing one fact helps you to know 3 other facts right away!
Memorial Day Math Centers: Patriotic Counting and Skip Counting Activities and more…
30 Page Download - Theme: Memorial Day Patriotic Clipart introduction to or review of counting and skip counting by ones, twos, fives, and tens to 100.
Memorial Day Math Centers: Patriotic M&Ms Math Activities
- Also 1 Poem & 1 Song - 11 Page Download - Your students can have fun celebrating Memorial Day or the 4th of July and learn some math at the same time. You can also use the poem and/or song during Shared Reading.
Memorial Day Patriotic Sight Words Literacy Centers Game Board Activities SET ONE –
- 5 different patriotic game boards for the first 100 Dolch sight vocabulary words. I have included 6 spinners, recording sheets, and optional award certificates. 20 Page Download.
Memorial Day Patriotic Sight Words Literacy Centers Game Board Activities SET TWO –
5 Different Game Boards - 5 different patriotic game boards for the LAST 120 sight vocabulary words. I have included 6 spinners, recording sheets, and optional award certificates. 20 Page Download.