Looking to incorporate some STEM into your Memorial Day teaching? You've come to the right place.
This easy STEM activity asks students to work cooperatively with a team or work on their own, to design and test a flag stand. The real world connection, linking this STEM challenge to Memorial Day and how we celebrate, gives the task a real world application.
This download includes:
1. Two STEM lesson recording sheets for students
- One for group work
- One for individuals
2. Two versions of a Cost Sheet
- This add on feature allows students to practice money skills by associating a cost to each material used (using play money)
- Students can then budget out how to use their money to buy supplies for building
3. Teacher Resource Page
- Picture book recommendations
- YouTube links about Memorial Day
The materials suggested to complete this challenge are:
Empty Soda/water Bottles
Tissue Paper/Colored Paper
These are suggestions for materials you can use. Please feel free to substitute or omit items to make this challenge a success with your own class.
Students will complete the activity with a take home item, so they can display their own mini American flag at home to celebrate the holiday.
If you like this STEM lesson you might also be interested in my other Spring STEM themed challenges: Spring STEM Challenge: Build a Windmill
or STEM Earth Day Challenge: Create Like Antoni Gaudi