We have devised this challenge system to focus the teaching of mental math skills in key areas within 1st Grade. The aim of this resource is to raise outcomes and skills for pupils in using their mental math ability at an age appropriate level. It celebrates progress, creates excitement in learning, supports development, and focuses teachers in targeting their teaching and supporting assessment. The scheme will last for a whole school year as the children will build their skills throughout the grade.
Skills developed include:
- Times tables and division questions (2x, 3x 4x, 5x and 10 x tables)
- Doubling numbers
- Halving numbers
- Counting up and back in twos from any given number
- Telling the time in minutes
In looking at key objectives, we have produced a range of resources to support the identification of skills required to raise standards. Those resources include:
- Full instructions for how to use this scheme with your children in Grade __ (11 pages)
- Handbook to show how the Mental Math skills fit within this grade, and support later/earlier grades
- Teacher question sheet focusing on each of the skills with a variety of questions
- Teacher Answer Key
- Pupil Answer Form to enable pupils to focus on math and not presenting their responses
- Power Point Challenge with over 40 slides
- Certificates for the most improved pupil from the previous assessment and for the winning pupil in the challenge
- Assessment sheet for teachers to analyse results, identify strengths and future teaching targets.
Please see the preview for examples of the each of the resources.
This challenge works in the same way as Spelling Bee – celebrating Mental Math skills with the whole school – creating excitement and challenge in all learners!
Each week, our children work in elements of Mental Math skills – identified in the handbook resource. At the end of each semester, the children complete the assessment activity. The results produce valuable information as to what students have remembered, forgotten, need further support with, or still need to be taught. This supports our future planning and review sessions.
It is also evident as a result of regular assessments which pupils have progressed the most from the previous assessment to the next one. These children are awarded with the “Greatest Improver Certificate”. It also identifies the higher scoring children who can then take part in the PowerPoint Challenge (like Spelling Bee) to identify a “winning” child for that semester. (As stated above, full instructions, illustrations and photos are included in the instructions booklet as to how to host your Mental Math Bee).
In our school, we already hold a Spelling Bee six times a year. We now do the same with our Mental Math Bee. The children love it just as much as Spelling Bee, and it allows a different group of children to shine in front of their peers. We engaged with all teachers and support staff, parents and our children - the outcome saw a dramatic increase in the Mental Arithmetic standards across the school. Therefore, we wanted to share this resource on TPT. If you need to raise expectations and skills in Mental Arithmetic, this resource is for you.
This product is differentiated for a range of grades included in different listed products:
- 1st Grade
- 2nd Grade
- 3rd Grade
- 4th and 5th Grade
All of the resource can be found in one whole document (and also works out much cheaper to buy). You can find this resource by following this link below:
Thank you for visiting our store and viewing our products. If you would like to be notified about new products, freebies and sales – why not click on the green star above and follow us?