Quickly knowing the pairs of numbers that add up to ten is a helpful skill when adding and subtracting. Knowing these pairs makes mental math and solving larger addition and subtraction problems easier.
• Pages 1 and 2 on a single, two-sided page, front and back
o send home to PARENTS.
• Pages 3 and 4 as separate, stand-alone pages
o give these pages to STUDENTS (collect page 4 after names are written on raffle tickets. Place in binder to monitor student progress. Use to assess.)
• Pages 4 and 5 are informational pages to be projected for the CLASS.
o may be printed on one page, front and back - or separately
• Page 7 is a STUDENT worksheet to be used with page 5 as it is projected.
• Pages 8 and 9 are independent STUDENT practice pages.
o Print separately or on one page, front to back.
• Pages 10 and 11 are ANSWER KEYS for independent practice pages 8 and 9.
o Print on one page, front to back.
• Page 12 is Teacher Guide Information page.
Note, Skittles Math: Approximately 30 Skittles come in an individual pack. You will need 10 Skittles per student to do the Skittles math activity, or one bag for every 3 students (price: $.75-$1.25 per pack.) Other small candy or other small items can be substituted for Skittles.
Note, Raffle Tickets: Teacher, assistant or parent helper calls students individually to assess memorized Numbers that Add Up to Ten. Each time student successfully identifies the numbers that add up to ten, cut off one raffle ticket (with student name written on it) and place in raffle jar. (4 raffle tickets provided for additional practice.) Draw Raffle Tickets for prizes – large and small – as desired. Student success/need for assistance can be monitored by noting number of raffle tickets used or unused for each student (place student pages in a binder.)
Created for Eyes in the Back of Our Hearts by Laura Hurley c 2013