Mental Math Strategies Warm-ups / Exit Slips (Addition) with Manipulatives
• Written with the 2nd grade in mind but also would be great review for 3rd grade. (Standard: 2.NBT.5)
• 50 half-sheet warm-ups.
• Mental math warm-ups are designed to help model mental math for students. Teacher should model the process for / with students.
• At first, students should be allowed to use pencil, paper, and the graphics on the warm-ups to complete the addition problems.
• After consistent practice, students should be able to move toward completing calculations in their head!
• The first 40 warm-ups include the visual manipulatives (tens and ones).
• The last 10 warm-ups do not include the manipulatives but the guided questions are still there! This should help with the transition to mental math.
• Have students add context to each problem.