This resource accompanies the Benchmark Advance curriculum. It is a collection of Mentor Sentences aligned with the different units throughout Benchmark. This resource also includes visual writing prompts to support and promote creativity during quick writes, which is used to practice integrating mentor sentence structures in student writing.
Mentor sentences are a study in grammar and conventions with students analyzing well-written sentences from various texts they may encounter. Students are engaged in higher DOK (depth-of-knowledge) levels as they practice identifying elements that create great sentences. Through this process students become familiar with grammar rules, conventions, parts of speech, and how different sentence structures give meaning to the reader. In addition, students practice revising, creating, and integrating.
Each Mentor Sentence and Prompt is meant to be used for a week. For each week there is:
1. Mentor Sentence Master (for passing out to students)
2. Parts of Speech Guide for labeling
3. Weekly Guide for student binders or folders
4. Answer Key and Suggestions for Teacher
5. Doc Camera Copy for teacher
6. Visual Prompt for integrating Mentor Sentences