Brand New Resource! With the use of mentor sentences from young adult novels, Mentor Minutes provides a step-by-step approach to teach 7th graders the grammar that they need to know while also molding them into excellent young writers.
This resource can be used as a bell ringer or as mini lessons.
There are nine units included. Each unit contains five lessons. Grammar concepts are explained in the first lesson of each unit, and then practice follows in the next four lessons. The lessons build on each other and are spiraling in nature.
Mentor Minutes was created with seventh graders in mind. For example, the very first lesson begins with prepositional phrases because subjects and verbs can never be found inside of prepositional phrases, and this often confuses middle school students. By teaching these first, students can identify them, place parenthesis around them, and look elsewhere in the sentence for the subject and verb of the sentence.
You may want to review the parts of speech before starting; however, this is not necessary, as students will learn as you go. If you do wish to review the parts of speech, a link is provided to a free resource which provides handouts, practice pages, games, and even posters for the parts of speech.
These lessons are crafted with the following:
• Mentor sentences provided from literature, mostly from young adult novels ~
Your students may even decide to read one of the books from which a mentor
• Easy to understand explanations, directions, and examples
• Quick and meaningful activities to ensure students’ success with each concept
• Opportunities for students to mimic the mentor sentences and craft original, simple, compound, complex, and compound-complex sentences of their own
That’s not all… Much more is included!
• Sets of task cards are included for each grammar concept in this resource. You will receive task cards for all of the following:
o Prepositional phrases
o Action verbs
o Linking verbs
o Helping verbs
o Direct objects
o Indirect objects
o Predicate nouns/adjectives
o Gerund phrases
o Infinitive phrases
o Participial phrases
o The jobs of nouns
o Phrase or Clause
o Types of Clauses
o Types of Sentences
Plus, along with the task cards, 10 fun review games are included! These games can be used with the task cards. These task cards sold separately are $5 each, so you're saving a ton of money buying Mentor Minutes!
• A Grammar Handbook is also included. Print these for your students to use as needed. You can have students keep them in their binders or run a class set, place in folders, and keep them in your room. A link is also provided so you can use this handbook in Google Slides.
Download the preview to see the first unit.
54 plus tons of task cards and a handbook