PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
1.53 MB | 13 pages
If you looking for a better way to model and teach revising and editing, mentor sentences are the perfect tool. These pages students take the grammar concepts they are learning about and apply it in their own writing, right away.
These pages cover fifth grade Common Core State Standards for:
Expand, combine, and reduce sentences for meaning, reader/listener interest, and style.
The topics for each worksheet include:
1. Combine sentences with a comma, conjunction, and independent clause
2. Combine sentences with a semicolon
3. Expand sentences using transition words and dependent clauses
4. Expand sentences with two dashes and a dependent clause in the middle
5. Expand sentences with a dash and a dependent clause at the end
6. Expand sentences with parentheses and a dependent clause
7. Expand sentences with a colon
8. Expand sentences with an appositive between two commas
9. Expand sentences with a participial phrase and a comma
10. Combine parallel objects with a conjunction
11. Combine predicates with a conjunction
12. Combine subjects with a conjunction
13. Use short sentences with long sentences to draw the reader’s attention.
This product includes:
• 13 Mentor Sentences worksheets: Each worksheet has 2 Mentor Sentences for students to analyze and compare, and room to write their own.
• 13 Definitions and Examples boxes: These can either be glued onto the page itself or into an Writing/Editing/GUM notebook as a study guide for future reference. These come 8 to a page in order to conserve copy paper.
***Are you looking for more Mentor Sentences products? Check out these popular activities***