- When Tonya’s Friends Come to Spend the Night
- Gary Soto - "Oranges"
- Four Eyes, By Nikki Grimes
- Good Night, Juma – Eloise Greenfield
- Riding the Subway Train, By Allan A. De Fina
- The City, by Langston Hughes
- Lessie, by Eloise Greenfield
- My First Memory (Of Librarians) by Nikki Giovanni
- Possum Crossing
All these poems contain a specific literary element: metaphor, simile, repetition, personification.
I printed this out for all my students as a packet and worked through it throughout the unit.