"Caviar is to dining what a sable coat is to a girl in evening dress."
Ludwig Bemelmans (Austrian-American author of the Madeline books ~ 1898 - 1962)
Once your students have learned a variety of food words, they'll be excited to create their own colorful menu for their own restaurant using paper, colored pencils or markers, and their own imaginations.
It's a fun way to use vocabulary, Euro prices, and allow the creative side of students to shine.
Once they've made their menus, students then visit the 'restaurants' of two other students and select items for a meal and write up eine Rechnung.
Included here are:
1. Detailed instructions in English for Step 1 ~ creating the menu and a grading rubric
2. Three beautiful student samples to show the class
3. An overhead explaining Step 2 ~ Ordering from other menus
4. Zwei Rechnungen for students to fill out with their food selections from two other menus
5. An overhead on dining in Germany ~ I've included five of the 27 customs from my
so your students know what to expect when they enter a German restaurant.
6. A partner oral interview activity using food words and gefällt mir
* The interview chart for recording answers and the questions in German are provided.
7. Mein Ringbuch ~ a notebook check sheet so students stay organized
* Denn Ordnung ist das halbe Leben, oder ?
And an added plus:
These menus make a colorful bulletin board or hall display of student work, particularly for Open House.
All items are ready-to-use to make your job easier. (21 pages)
* EXPANSION ACTIVITY *
Some very charming videos have been done by an American teenager during his stay in Germany. Sam Walton has a delightful and refreshing way of looking at Life In Germany - the name of his series.
Here are two interesting food commentaries ~
If you like my products, please follow me by clicking on the little star at the top under my name. Danke.
♥ .. Several of my products are FREE. Please click HERE
to see which products are currently available for free. ..♥
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Too little time for all your preps and planning and grading and meetings and PD ?
If you're looking for more ready-to-use resources, you may be interested in these other items in my store:
* SINGLE SUB PLANS NOW AVAILABLE *
. . Look for the brown polka dot cover . .
* Single Sub * Plan 1 For German ~ In The Know
* Single Sub * Plan 2 For German ~ Can we talk - German ?
* Single Sub * Plan 3 For German ~ Tops In Tennis
* Single Sub * Plan 4 For German ~ Zum Verwechseln ähnlich
* Single Sub * Plan 5 For German ~ Wer weiß ?
* Single Sub * Plan 6 For German ~ Hier spricht man auch Deutsch !
* Single Sub * Plan 7 For German ~ The Pennsylvania Dutch (The Amish)
* Single Sub * Plan 8 For German ~ Falsche Freunde
* Single Sub * Plan 9 For German ~ Wie ist das Wetter ?
* Single Sub * Plan 10 For German ~ Wunderbare Wörter
* Single Sub * Plan 11 For German ~ Französische Wörter
.. Ooh La La ! ..
.. Interesting French words used in German. ..
* Single Sub * Plan 13 For German ~ Austria
* Single Sub Plan ~ César Ritz * Cäsar Ritz ~ Founder of the Ritz Hotels .. Viewable online ~ link is provided ..
Prefer a savings ?
* The Berlin Wall * Bundle .. That iconic symbol of The Cold War - grim-faced
Berliners woke up to it in 1961 - ecstatic Berliners experienced its fall in 1989 ..
* Switzerland ~ Swiss * Pac 1 .. A nice glimpse into another German-speaking country ..
* Switzerland ~ Swiss * Pac 2 .. More glimpses of this multilingual country ..
* Swiss Cities Bundle .. These travel videos are viewable online, links are provided ~ wonderful views of a scenic mountain country where people also speak German ..
Or want to create your own ?
Special Back-to-School Activities & Review Resources
* Back-To-School Review * Pac For German .. 10 activities for 10 days to ease your students back into German ..
* Tissue * Box Project For German Class .. A great back-to-school review project. ..
* The Color * Game For German Class .. Vorsicht. This can get pretty exciting ! ..
.. Great back-to-school activity for level 2. This makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work for Open House night. ..
* Wordle Activity * Pac For German .. Be prepared for Excitement with a capital E ! ..
* Mein Ringbuch ~ Setting Up A German Notebook .. It's free ..
* Open House ~ Sign-In Sheet for German Class .. It's free ..
* Info*Blatt ~ Student Information Sheet .. It's free ..
* German Names On Hands Display .. Impressive for 'Open House' or 'Back-to-School Night' ..
Customs & Life in Germany
.. Nice initial introduction to a cultural difference for the start of school. ..
* German Baby * Names .. It's free ~ Most students like the cachet of having a special German name
for German class ~ here are some easy-to-use A to Z lists for them to choose from ..
* Wedding * Customs In Germany .. Fun to talk about right before Valentinstag. ..
* Let's Talk Business: In German .. Perfect, too, for after the AP Exam. ..
* German-American Day * Famous People .. For October 6th ~ German-American Day. ..
* German-American Day Activities * Pac .. For October 6th ~ Easy activities to make this day special. ..
* Mamie Eisenhower * Think Pink .. It's free. ..
Mamie was our last First Lady to be born in the 1800s.
Learn more about the seldom-talked-about wife of one of our most famous German-Americans, President Dwight David Eisenhower. ..
* November 1st * Tombstone Project For German .. Nice for Allerheiligen. ..
.. Among them Franz Marc, Otto Dix, Otto Frank (Anne's father), Captain von Trapp, The Red Baron ..
* Burt Wolf * Christmas In Germany .. Viewable online ~ link is provided ..
* Burt Wolf * Christmas In Vienna .. Most of Burt's 25-minute travel documentaries are viewable online ~ links are provided ..
* Burt Wolf * Christmas In Vienna .. Film-Fragen only ~ viewable online ~ link is provided ..
* Murmeltiertag Activity * Pac .. Discover Germany's connection to Groundhog Day ..
* Ein Liebesbrief ♥ A Love Letter From Beethoven .. The love letter to his mysterious 'Immortal Beloved' ..
* Liebeszettelchen von Amor ♥ Valentinstag .. Good practice for AP German students correcting Cupid's mistakes ..
* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 1.. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday. ..
* Einstein * Trivia Game ~ Year 2.. For 3.14 - Pi Day and Einstein's Birthday.
This was such a hit in German 1, my students made me make a German 2 version. ..
* Mother's Day Project * Pac For German .. Nice for Muttertag im Mai. ..
Assessments & Projects & Activities
* Final * Exam For German 1 .. Both written and oral parts ..
* Final * Exam For German 2 .. Both written and oral parts ..
* Final * Exam For German 3 .. With written, oral, and culture parts ..
* Lotto * Pac For German .. Review more than just numbers with Bingo - a fun way to reinforce vocabulary, too. ..
* Rorschach * Inkblot Activity For German Class .. Looking for an interdisciplinary lesson ? Let your students try an easy inkblot test ! ..
.. Perfect for after the AP German Exam or for upper level students. ..
* Battleship * Pac For German .. Good oral practice of verb tenses. ..
* ABC-Büchlein For German .. Need a recruiting tool ? Try this. ..
* Monster * Project For German Class .. Easy review of body parts ..
.. Easy for German 1 and makes a nice bulletin board or hall display of student work. ..
* Fun End-Of-Year Awards For German Class .. Nice way to end the year. ..
* Household * Chores Activities For German .. Try Kehrwoche in class … it's fun ! ..
* Word Wise Vocab * Pac For German .. Nice for expanding the vocabulary of your AP German students. ..
* Berlin ~ Post-War Timeline .. You can't help but mention this iconic symbol
of The Cold War when you're teaching German. Here's a brief overview ..
* Switzerland * 26 Fun Facts .. A fun introduction to another German-speaking country ..
* Switzerland * Webquest .. Makes a good sub plan, too ..
* German Verbs * The -ieren Verbs .. Also useful for AP German students ..
* Recruiting Flyer For German .. It's free ..
* Scherenschnitte .. Nice project using adjectives ..
* The Food * Pac For German Class .. With a food pyramid project ..
Great Films & Documentaries
* Feature * Film ~ Nordwand (North Face) .. Could these young German mountain climbers prove German superiority in the 1930s by being the first to climb The North Face ? You'll be on the edge of your seat till the very end ! ..
.. The 1936 Berlin Olympics. Nicely done bio-pic for Black History Month. ..
.. An interesting documentary. Perfect link between German and Black History Month. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Bella Martha Mostly Martha .. Sweet film. Fits in nicely with a food unit. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Rosenstraße Rosenstrasse .. The only successful public
resistance attempt under The Third Reich. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Marx & Coca Cola .. A delightful film about post-Reunification hurdles. ..
* Feature * Film ~ Swing Kids .. Even dancing was dangerous under The Third Reich ..
* Feature * Film ~ The Young Victoria .. Did you know that Queen Victoria's first language was German ? ..
* Feature * Film ~ Vitus .. A child prodigy not just on the piano ... but what
do you do when your child is smarter than you are ? ..
* Feature * Film ~ Night Crossing .. A daring escape from East Germany ..
.. Wondering about the Royal Family's German connection ?
.. It's explained in the accompanying overhead. ..
* Burt Wolf ~ Zurich, Switzerland .. Most of Burt's short documentaries are viewable online, links are provided ~ an interesting & easy lesson ..
* Feature * Film ~ Joe and Max ~ Louis vs. Schmeling .. The world was on the brink of war when Joe Louis met Max Schmeling in the boxing ring in 1938.
But would that affect their match ? ..
* Rick Steves ~ Frankfurt and Nürnberg .. Viewable online, link is provided ~ an easy & informative lesson ..
* Rick Steves ~ Vienna and the Danube .. Viewable online, link is provided ~ an easy & informative lesson ..
Other Ready-to-Use Resources
* The Traveler's * Ten Commandments For FL Students .. It's free. ..
.. Perfect fun activity in February for your German Club. ..
* Eponym Activity For French, German, Italian, Spanish .. Works well as a sub plan, too. ..
* Letter of Appreciation to Parents .. It's free. ..
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *