This product is intended to demonstrate how Triangular Trade worked in the the 17th and 18th centuries.
- Country Profile Sheets
- Colony Profile Sheets
- Raw Material Cards
- Instruction sheet
- Note: Students should have been introduced to information on Triangular Trade and Mercantilism preceding this activity.
- Divide the class into teams of 6
- Give each group a Country Profile Sheet - have students read the information for their country
- Students will then be given their colony - this can be done randomly or strategically. - It is often more impactful to the lesson to have groups actually go out and “explore’ their colony. I have given students numbers and then put colonies around the room with only numbers attached to them.
- The colony envelope should include the colony profile and the appropriate amount of raw material cards.
- When all groups have their colonies and have read all things about their country and colony then they should form a strategy for trading to get their necessary resources.
- Groups will then start trading with other groups to get the resources they need.
- Leave time to debrief and possibly play again.
- Adjust rules as you see the need.