Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
31.57 MB | 10 pages
Metals and Alloys – A Fifth Grade SMARTBoard Introduction is a SMARTBoard 5th grade level instructional presentation
It includes a SMARTBoard presentation of the text along with one fully interactive presentation slide that is also available in PDF format to print and issue as classwork, homework, or attach/incorporate into an interactive notebook. Students can also complete the activity during the presentation as reinforcement of the presentation.
The presentation includes:
• Introductory terminology (metal, conductivity, insulator, superconductor, malleable, ductile, corrosion, and alloy)
• General discussion of metals.
• Melting points of metals and uses due to varying melting points.
• Conductivity introduced. Differences between conductors and insulators.
• Superconductors explained (with video). Maglev train example shown. Thermal conduction referenced.
• Hardness of metals discussed. Malleable and ductile defined.
• Metal compounds and mixtures illustrated. Corrosion shown/explained. How oxidation effects some metals.
• Alloy production and uses explained.
The last slide has a white-background and is used for the printable. The printable is already in PDF form in the package. The white-background page is not included in the total pages. I include it in case you would like to change any of the data and recreate the printable.
The interactive/review slide and printable:
• The interactive activity is a labeling/matching activity where students match descriptions with vocabulary/pictures. Included vocabulary: metal, conductivity, insulator, superconductor, malleable, ductile, corrosion, and alloy
SMARTBoard presentations require the use of Notebook Software. They are not compatible with Promethean Active Inspire software. There are free SMARTBoard viewers online, however.