This is a very thorough lesson on metamorphic rocks. It can be used in any lecture/note taking format, but it was tailored for the use of interactive notebooks. Throughout the lesson, students write questions and draw pictures of main concepts. At the end of the presentation, students write a summary on the lesson with the help of a guided questions. It is designed so students are not being passive, but interacting with their notes and taking needed time to process main concepts. I have included pictures of a sample notebook, which can be used to model the students' notes, if desired.
Concepts in this lesson include:
1. Metamorphic Rock Lesson Bell ringer
2. What are Metamorphic Rocks
3. What determines which metamorphic rock will form
4. 3 Agents of Metamorphism (Heat, Pressure, & Fluids(Hydorthermal Solutions))
5. Foliation vs. Stratification
6. Stratification & Sedimentary Rocks
7. Foliation & Metamorphic Rocks
8. Types of Metamorphism (Regional & Contact)
9. Classification of Metamorphic Rocks (Foliation and nonfoliation)
Please note that this Power Point Presentation covers essentially the same information as my Metamorphic Rock Station Lab (minus the rock identification portion), but presents it in a different way. It is for teachers that either do not wish to do the lab, or for teachers that are pressed for time, or for teachers that do not have access to materials to do the lab.
Metamorphic Rock Power Point Presentation
by Elizabeth Johnson
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License