Picture Book Poetry: Introduction to Metaphor gives young students a familiar introduction to metaphor and similes through picture books they already know and love.
This product includes lesson plan ideas using picture books, discussion prompts for the teacher for three books, individual practice pages and centers for students to understand and identify metaphors and similes, a few templates for writing their own metaphors and similes, and a few public domain poems that a teacher may want to use with young children.
This product is also available in a BUNDLE!
The lesson plan includes:
* An annotated picture book list of books introducing the concept of rhyming. (Key books include One Special Day, Love is a Handful of Honey, My Best Friend is as Sharp as a Pencil, and more!)
* A list of activities for extending metaphor/simile picture books into a lesson about metaphors/similes.
* A list of some nursery rhymes and other poems.
* An explanation of the worksheet sets attached.
* Discussion prompts for the teacher for three of the suggested books.
The worksheets include:
* 12 task cards with Audio QR codes for students to practice determining simile or metaphor.
* 3 matching pages in which students draw a line from one pictured item to the item with which it is similar.
* 2 Color, cut, and paste pages in which students match pictures in to "similar" categories.
* A few templates for creating similes and a metaphor if desired.
* A few samples of (public domain) poetry for possible teacher use
This would work in a classroom or a homeschool setting. It is intended for lower elementary aged children.