Microscope Chat: These microscope lab stations will ensure that your students have mastered the concepts of the microscope and its proper use.
What is included in this product?
• 11 Student Worksheets (A one-page worksheet per station.)
• 11 Microscope Chat Lab Station Instruction Cards
• 5-Page Teacher Guide
• 10-Page Teacher Answer Key
What is the purpose of this activity?
My “Chat” activities involve lab stations and cooperative student groups. Students will work together to solve a problem, complete a task and /or carry out a small experiment at each station. I use the word “chat” to emphasize to my students that they are to work together and have a productive discussion at each lab station in order to maximize their understanding and mastery of the concepts being covered.
This particular chat activity covers the microscope. Students will explore the history of the microscope, the parts and functions of the microscope, and the proper use and handling of the microscope. Students will learn to make wet mount slides, how to make measurements with the microscope, and the benefits of using stains. Students will gain the hands-on experience they need to improve their microscopy skills.
Do just a few lab stations or do them all! All materials are completely editable.
Love my chat activities? Check these out:
Science Chat for Biology
Mitosis (and Meiosis!) Chat
Ecology Chat 1: Introduction to Ecology
Ecology Chat 2: Population Ecology
Need more information about the use of lab stations in your classes?
Click this link to view my video on how to set up, implement, and use lab stations in your science classes.
What are the benefits of this activity?
• Group work is an important part of what we do in a science class, and it is a skill that will be needed throughout life. Lab station activities teach students how to work together to achieve a goal.
• These microscope lab stations will ensure that students have mastered the concepts of the microscope and its proper use.
What will the students be doing?
There are 11 lab stations. Students will rotate through the stations, completing the tasks at each station. Each station will highlight a microscope-related task to be completed by the group as well as a worksheet of analysis questions. There is one full-page student worksheet for each lab station.
Concepts covered at each lab station:
Station 1: Parts of the Microscope
Station 2: The Letter "e"
Station 3: Proper Care and Use of the Microscope
Station 4: The Wet Mount Slide
Station 5: What Happens When You ....
Station 6: Magnification and Resolution
Station 7: Microscope Measurement
Station 8: Electron Microscopes
Station 9: Depth of Field
Station 10: Using Stains
Station11: History of the Microscope
• Compound Light Microscopes
• Clean microscope slides
• Newspaper or prepared slide of the letter “e”
• 2 Different Prepared slides of your choice
• Small beaker or other container for tap water
• Medicine dropper
• Fresh leaves or flower petals
• Lens paper
• Colored paper from magazine or newspaper
• Biology / Life Science Textbook or laptop computer for research purposes
• Prepared slide of three colored threads, or three spools of different colored threads
• Iodine solution in dropping bottle
The 5-page teacher guide includes:
• Purpose of the activity.
• Description of what students will be doing.
• How to carry out your role as facilitator.
• Materials List
• Safety Precautions
• Complete instructions for how to set up each lab station.
• Tips and suggestions for successful completion of the activity.
This product also includes a very detailed 10-Page Teacher Answer Key
Related products include:
The Complete Microscope Teaching Bundle
Microscope Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Boom Cards (Digital Task Cards) on the Microscope
Lab: The Compound Microscope
Microscope Quiz / Test
Biology Lab: Diversity of Cell Structure
Microscope Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Microscope Homework / Study Guide
Microscope Crossword Puzzle
Microscope Task Cards
Introduction to Science: 34 Warm ups, bell ringers, or inserts for science interactive notebooks
Biology Buzz Words: Introduction to Biology
Lab Cleanup Task Cards
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store
I would love to have you follow me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page