The Compound Microscope - A Biology Lab Activity
All biology and life science students need to know the proper use and care of a compound light microscope. Many, if not most, of your students will have previously learned about and used a microscope, but that doesn’t mean they know the PROPER way to use and handle it. All of our students need a refresher lesson and lab on the proper use and handling of the microscope.
This lab is a very typical microscope lab. Students will view the letter “e” and pieces of colored paper under the microscope. However, even your most advanced students are guaranteed to learn new information about the microscope that they did not know before.
While the procedure may be simple, the questions range from easy to very in-depth so that all students will benefit from the activity.
What will the students be doing?
• Students will look at slides of the letter "e" and of colored paper.
• Students will learn to make biological sketches and will answer an extensive list of questions about the microscope.
• Students will learn the parts of the microscope, and will practice the proper use of the microscope.
• The lab includes a list of rules for the proper use of the microscope.
• Students will estimate the size of objects under the microscope, and learn how the field of view changes as different objectives are used.
• At the end of this lab, students should be on their way to becoming microscope experts.
Your download includes Title, Purpose, Procedure, Materials List, Student Data Pages, and Answers to all questions. You will receive a pdf version of the lab and an editable word document.
Materials needed for this lab: Microscope, slides, coverslips, newspaper, colored magazine paper, scissors.
Related Products Include:
Intro to Biology: A complete unit plan of 20 products
Boom Cards (Digital Task Cards) on the Microscope
Microscope Powerpoint with Notes for Teacher and Student
Cells (Plant and Animal) Quiz / Homework / Review
Biology Buzz Words: Introduction to Biology
Lab: Use of Lab Equipment and Data Analysis Skills
Introduction to Biology: Scientific Method, Graphing, Themes of Biology, Microscope
Microscope, Scientific Method, Intro to Biology Crossword Puzzle
Intro to Biology (Themes, Scientific Method, Characteristics of Life, Microscope) Set of 4 quizzes
Microscope Crossword Puzzle
Microscope Powerpoint Jeopardy Review Game
Microscope Homework / Study Guide
Microscope Task Cards
What's In a NAme? (A Study of Biological Prefixes and Suffixes)
For updates about sales and new products, please follow my store:
My TpT Store: Amy Brown Science
You can find me at these locations as well:
My Blog: Amy Brown Science.com
My Facebook Page