This is a peer-tutoring review sheet for students to quiz one another on the Early and High Middle Ages.
This is a very effective review because students have to try to answer the questions correctly as well as then ask their partner the same questions. It is therefore especially good for reinforcing content. Furthermore, this review sheet allows students to know which specific topics they need to study more.
*Please note: The preview shows that question 15 continues onto page 2. However when you download the review sheet, questions 1-14 are fully on page 1 and questions 15-30 are completely on page 2.
• Person answering the questions: Hand your sheet to your partner who will ask you the questions.
• Questioner: Using your Partner’s sheet, ask your partner the questions. If he/she gets it wrong circle “0”, circle “1” if his or her answer is partially correct and circle “2” if the answer is completely correct.
- Switch roles after Round 1
- repeat the whole process for Round 2
1) During the Middle Ages, the vast majority of people in Western Europe belonged to which religion?
2) Who is Charlemagne?
3) Why did Pope Leo III crown Charlemagne “Holy Roman Emperor”?
4) What is Feudalism?
5) Describe the relationship between a ruler or lord and a vassal (i.e. what must each do for the other?)
6) What is land given to a vassal from a lord or ruler?
7) What is Manorialism?
8) Why did Feudalism develop?
9) What does secular mean?
10) The majority of medieval literature and art had to do with…
11) Who is the Pope?
12) What form of Christianity was practiced in the Byzantine Empire?
13) Who administers Sacraments?
14) What is Canon Law?
15) Which Church officials lived in secluded communities, devoted their lives to prayer and took vows of obedience, chastity and poverty?
16) What is excommunication?
17) What is it called when a Pope excludes an entire community or kingdom from receiving Sacraments?
18) The economy of medieval Western Europe is based on…
19) What is Chivalry?
20) True or False: The Pope only held religious power.
21) What were the duties of noblewomen?
22) What reforms did Pope Gregory VII make (AD 1073-1085)?
23) Who created the Cluniac Reforms that focused on restoring the traditional monastic life, encouraging art and caring for the poor?
24) What is the 3-field system?
25) Name at least 2 results of the Agricultural Revolution.
26) What group controlled the economic life of medieval towns?
27) True or False: “Charters of Incorporation” freed medieval citizens (of towns) from the control of lords.
28) What is the Commercial Revolution?
29) How did the Crusades help to fuel the Commercial Revolution?
30) What is a tithe?