Do you want to take your middle schoolers BEYOND THE BASICS of identifying figurative language?
Do you want them to think about the PURPOSE and IMPACT of figurative language?
Do you want to get your students MOVING and DOING?
Then this is what you've been looking for!
- Students will determine the meaning of 6 figurative language statements.
- To help them with the process a Thinking Sheet is included that guides students to answer: What stands out to you, what is the author comparing. what point is the author making, and how can you related it to your life.
- Students will determine the impact of figurative language within 3 poems.
- To help them with the process a Thinking Sheet is included that guides students to locate the figurative language in the poem, identify the type, determine what the author is comparing or highlighting, the meaning of the figurative language, and the overall meaning of the poem.
- Students will rewrite the poem using literal language
- Students will then compare the two to determine the impact of the figurative language.
- Students will rewrite common and cliched similes to make them more interesting.
- To help them with the process a Thinking Sheet is included that guides students in determining what is being compared, what the connection is between the two items, the meaning, and how they have experienced something similar.
~Student foldables for each station
~Students thinking/brainstorming sheets for each station