Wondering what to do for grammar this year? How to make grammar instruction less painful and more effective?
This Middle School Favorites Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundle (the new intermediate / middle school version of my popular "YA Lit Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundle") will answer both of those questions! You will receive 20 weeks worth of ready-to-go grammar instruction that you can implement immediately.
Using mentor sentences from favorite middle school novels (see list below), students learn how to write great sentences, rather than just editing a bunch of boring and badly-written ones. Each week, you'll introduce a new sentence and invite students to notice what is interesting about it. In the days following, students label parts of speech, find key sentence parts, and then create their own sentences mirroring the mentor's style! Students can see how grammar directly affects real-life writing every week.
Mentor Sentence Bundle Includes:
- 20 Mentor Sentence Student Handouts -- Just copy one for each student, and you're good to go for the week! Includes both PDFs and editable Word docs for each.
- Teacher Notes for Each Sentence -- Lists the grammar concepts I teach with each sentence, a focus for a weekly mini-lesson, and what your students should spot on Day 1.
- Answer Key for Mentor Sentence Labeling -- Just in case, I've labeled each sentence with the answers I use for Day 2 and 3.
- 5 Grammar Quizzes - Give a grammar quiz once a month to check for understanding with these quick two-to-a-page quizzes.
- Grammar Quiz Answers -- Makes grading quick and easy!
- Teacher Introduction - Basic ideas behind using mentor sentences and an explanation of the daily activities.
- Abbreviation Key - A simple key for all of my grammar abbreviations. Easy-to-print PDF and editable Word doc, which you can share with students for easier labeling.
Year after year, this approach connects with kids, parents, and administration! These sentences are geared toward 6-8th grade students. If you're looking for sentences for 8-12th grade, check out my YA Lit Mentor Sentence Grammar Bundle!
Mentor Sentences are from the following texts:
How to be an Explorer of the World, Smith
True North, Lasky
Code Talker, Bruchac
Z for Zachariah, OBrien
Tuck Everlasting, Babbitt
Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Kinney
The Lorax, Seuss
Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry, Taylor
Bridge to Terabithia, Paterson
The Book Thief, Zusak
Catching Fire, Collins
The Outsiders, Hinton