A pretest used to assess students' abilities on the 8 core science and engineering practices embedded through the entirety of the NGSS standards. Students will be required to use minimal content knowledge, and when science content is unavoidable, students are asked simple questions from the grade 5 curriculum.
Assessed standards are as follows:
1. Asking questions (science) and defining problems (engineering)
2. Developing and using models
3. Planning and carrying out investigations
4. Analyzing and interpreting data
5. Using mathematics and computational thinking
6. Constructing explanations (science) and designing solutions (engineering)
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
Test is 5 pages and includes sample answer key.
Reflection requires students to examine a proficiency scale (rubric) and write descriptor statements for proficient responses.
Additionally, students score their own work and set goals for the year
More NGSS Resources:
◆Power Standards Explained: Constructing an Argument
◆Power Standards Explained: Developing a Model
◆Middle School Life Science Standard Unpacking