Assess your students' ability to construct responses with this short, age-appropriate story and seven questions. You can use it as a tool to sample student skills at the beginning of the year, to guide instruction, or as a test prep activity.
This six-page document includes an adaptation of “The Rats and Their Son-in-Law” (adapted from Childhood’s Favorites and Fairy Stories, 1919, public domain), three student response sheets, and a rubric.
• Answer an Inferential Question (RL.5.1) *
• Summarize the Story (RL.5.2)*
• Find a Theme (RL.5.2)*
• Compare and Contrast Characters (RL.5.3)*
• Define Words Using Context Clues (RL.4.4)
• Identify and Interpret Figurative Language (RL.5.4)
• Describe How Narrator’s Point of View Influences Events in Story (RL.5.6)*
*These questions require students to construct complete responses and must include a topic sentence, detail sentences with evidence from the text, citing, quoting, and a conclusion.
This assessment is also available as a part of a three-test bundle.
You can assess at the beginning, middle, and end of the year with Literature Assessments - Grade 5
, which is available at a reduced price.
Would you like to know when I post more resources? Simply follow me on TpT