Real-World Math Project: Not Your Lemonade Stand
goes beyond the lemonade stand project. In this student-tested and approved real-world math project/simulation, students select one of 4 businesses. Students make decisions about materials and costs within their budget. They set prices and project profits. Over a 4-part simulation, the students must react to different real-world scenarios that affect costs and prices.
Students develop skills in money concepts, percents, and decimals. Students are decision makers, analysts, and of course, mathematicians. They develop their skills in graphing, financial literacy, and more.
This is a great project for middle school classrooms. Give it to the whole class or differentiate by providing the project to small groups or individuals. Outstanding for gifted students as well.
You can read how the simulation was developed and used on my blog.
NOTE: This product was updated 3/7/16.
- Students will perform operations with multi-digit whole numbers and with decimals to the hundredths (5.NBT.B.5)
- Students will compute fluently with multi-digit numbers (6.NS.B.)
- Students will represent and interpret data (MD.B.)
- Students will graph points on the coordinate plane to solve real-world and mathematical problems (5.G.A.)
- Students will represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables (6.EE.C.)
- Students will solve real-life problems using numerical and algebraic expressions and equations (7.EE.B)
- Students will make sense of problems and persevere in solving them (MP1)
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at firstname.lastname@example.org. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Benefits of following the store
- Save $$$ - Follow the store and receive updates on new product launches. New products are 20% off in the first 48 hours. To follow simply click on the follow me star at the store. New product launches typically occur once a week.
- Follow the Facebook page
to find out about weekly deals, sales, flash freebies and giveaways.
- Read musings, tips, resources and ideas about teaching, education and education policy on the blog.
Don’t miss out on Math Mondays (tips, resources and ideas for teaching Math)
- No more than 1 email from me directly to my followers per month.
To follow the store and save $$$, click on the follow me star above.