Throughout the school year I obtain new admissions to my caseload. At times, it can be hard to gage my student's ability levels just from reading their IEP. I have developed an informal screener that hits upon the areas that I feel I would like to see whether my students have mastered or if it's an area where more support is needed.
The following comprehensive screener includes sections on:
1. Informal Oral Peripheral Exam Checklist
2. Brief Artic, Fluency, and Voice Checklist
3. Spontaneous conversation topics for a language sample
4. Following Directions & Sequencing
5. Morphology Competency: unscrambling sentences, malapropisms, including a specific word in a sentence
6. Editing Passage: proofreading and punctuation
7. Recall & Mental Manipulation
8. Paragraph Retell & Comprehension - Fiction, Nonfiction, Poetry Passage with included comprehension questions
9. Vocabulary: definitions, synonyms, context clues, idioms
10. Social: inferencing, problem solving, situational problem solving, body language
11. Pragmatics Checklist
**Also included supplementals as visual supports as well as Impressions & Data Collection section!