Miles and Miles of Reptiles Unit
Subject Area: Science/ELA
Students will read Miles and Miles of Reptiles from The Cat in the HatÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½s Learning Library by Tish Rabe and then conduct research to learn more about reptiles on the Internet. Depending on how in depth you would like to go with students, this could take 3-12 days. You could have students research each reptile as you go along, or you could jigsaw the groups into different reptiles and have students share out. This depends on how much time you have to spend on each reptile. This would be the teacherÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½s discretion. Either way, in both scenarios, students will read closely, answer text based questions, conduct research and write a well-developed paragraph using details from the text and their internet research. A rubric for the writing is included as well as all questions and answers. Each studentÃ¢ï¿½ï¿½s writing can be included into a CLASS field guide. Great individual and class project. Besides the writing assessment, multiple choice questions are included for an alternative or additional assessment.
Common Core Standards Targeted
Reading Anchor Standards
1. Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
2. Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
Writing Anchor Standards
2. Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content
7. Conduct short as well as more sustained research projects based on focused questions, demonstrating understanding of the subject under investigation.
Language Anchor Standards
1. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English grammar and usage when writing or speaking.
2. Demonstrate command of the conventions of standard English capitalization, punctuation, and spelling when writing.