Our exclusive "Find Four" board game is designed to help students learn the difference between a simile and a metaphor (available to download on TPT).
This particular version uses actual simile and metaphor quotes from Milkweed and the page numbers where the figurative language is located. In addition to the 22 examples of simile and metaphor (eleven each), there are eleven examples that contain neither.
The game includes:
* Full-sized 8"x11" Game Board
* 11 Simile Strips
* 11 Metaphor Strips
* 11 Neither Strips
As the type of figurative language is identified, students initial a corresponding square on the game board. The goal is to be the first student to find and initial four squares on the board either in a row or diagonally. As the game unfolds, students may block each other or even challenge a choice.
This game may be used to best suit the needs of your students. An example might include:
* Use the game to assess prior knowledge about the concept of simile and metaphor. After the game, teach a unit on the concepts. Pass the game out again at the end of the unit to gauge student growth.
* Use the game as a mini lesson about simile and metaphor
* Use the game as a study guide activity for simile and metaphor
To reduce waste, consider laminating the game board and strips. Instead of using a pencil to mark their initials, students could use a dry erase marker instead.
Have students cut the strips - in doing so they will be interacting with the figurative language before the game begins!
This download is also available in our Milkweed zipped folder bundle along with:
• A packet of 55 common-core based questions separated by chapter
• Milkweed themed plot graph
• A book cover project detailing how to create new front, back, and inside covers of Milkweed
• A set of argument prompts for essay writing
The cover page is colored to stand out on the TPT search results. I have changed the background to white for the download. Also, I have included screen shots of very small sections of the game and directions for illustrative purposes. The complete material is in the download ready to print and play!
Milkweed Find Four by Melissa Detrick is licensed under a Creative Commons Attibution-NonCommercial-NoDeriv