Do you need a new approach to Independent Reading that will inspire and engage students as readers? Try the Million Word Challenge!
Studies show that the number of words that students read correlates with academic success. So, this year-long challenge has students tracking their word counts, rather than the number of books or levels.
Although the concept of reading a million words is not new, each of the documents provided in this Zip file are created to make the process easier for you to implement this challenge in your classroom.
Included in the ZIP file:
1. Handout for students explaining the challenge and directions. (Word Document - able to be edited)
2. PDF file for teachers explaining the background of the challenge, how to give it a grade, and other logistical tips
3. PDF Word Count Tracking sheet
4. PDF directions for saving student photos for easy printing at an office supply store
5. Certificate of Completion template for students who read a million words
6. A sign for students to hold while having their photo taken for the million word challenge bulletin board
Want more great ideas & resources?
Blog: All Kinds of Learning Adventures
Like my Facebook page
Follow on Instagram
Browse my pins on Pinterest
Chat on Twitter
Search terms: books, reading, challenge, independent, reading log, Lexile, struggling readers