Are you using Reading Counts or Accelerated Reader in your classroom?
Motivate and empower your students to define and set reading goals to show number of words read!
Help your students track number of words read growth over time in a way that’s visual and concrete!
* I wanted my students to embrace the understanding that adults do not choose a book to read because of the thickness of the book spine or the number of RC or AR points a book might be worth.
* I wanted to eliminate that book spine thickness or book point value from the reasons students chose something to read. Helping students track the number of words read over time did just that!
* I wanted my students to visit the Library with enthusiasm, selecting books by an author they've come to enjoy, a genre that has them hooked, excited about the next book in an author's series, and gain comfort and confidence exploring nonfiction and/or a genre that might be something my students wouldn't ordinarily select.
* I tried other data tracking options with my 5th graders, including tracking the number of books read or number of minutes spent reading. I found having my students monitor and track the number of words read, instead of books or minutes to show growth over time, aligned more closely with best practices research I read.
* tracking the number of words students were reading allowed me to easily differentiate for my students’ varying abilities and interests; students could continue to listen to something read aloud and/or read independently with either method benefitting their Reading Counts or Accelerated Reader success.
This classroom AND tutor-tested UPDATED (June 2022) product file includes:
* Reading Counts or Accelerated Reader One Million Words Data Tracking sheet
* Reading Counts or Accelerated Reader 40,000 Words Data Tracking sheet
(to help students get started working toward reading a million words)
* samples of the 40,000 Words Data Tracking Sheet and the Million Words Data Tracking sheet to display on your Smartboard to show students how to use them #iamavisuallearner
* my Teacher Notes and Suggestions to describe my experiences using this word count tracking project in my classroom
The process to download these files does NOT need TPT to access your Google Drive.